Saturday, March 13, 2010

This years first

This was my first trip to Cave Run in 2010, The water was about 6 feet below summer pool level. Water temps were in the low 40 degree range and the clarity would be considered stained to muddy, depending on what part of the lake you were on. With the air temps in the mid 50's and a moderate east wind, conditions were not what I would call ideal.
I started out the day casting, I went through all the standard early spring baits....rattle baits, jerk baits both dive-rise and gliders, small bucktails and rubber. After 6-1/2 hours of this without even seeing a fish I decided it was time to make a change, so I pulled out the trolling rods and started trolling in the same general areas I had been casting. I put a small deep running crankbait out, on a short line to keep it running fairly shallow and on another rod I put a larger shallow running crankbait on a longer line. Within the first 1/2 hour I got a the first fish of the year, a fat little 29"er, while not a big fish by any stretch but a fish never the less. A little while later while trolling through the same area, from the opposite direction, I got another fish, on the same little deep running crank. This fish was almost a carbon copy of the first.
The photos are of the second fish.
Two little fish on the first trip of the year, while not anything to brag about, I was happy to at least see one on the first trip, even if it was small.
Hopefully next time I will get one a little bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment