Friday, December 25, 2009

Building a center weighted bucktail

I started building me a few new center weighted bucktails, so I thought I would post a few photos to show how I make them. There are lots of ways to make bucktails and this is but one of the ways I make mine.
First I measure and marked 4" on the .051" looped wire. 4" is about how long I wanted the back half of this bait to be. I then made a S bend in the wire just ahead of the 4" mark. The S bend will be poured inside the lead head and keeps the head from twisting and sliding on the wire. The head is what the front hook hanger will ride against so I don't want it to slip down the wire when I set the hook on a fish.
I am going to use hollow beads on the front part of the bait so the lead head will be the only weight added to it, the size of the cavity I poured was 1 ounce.

The heads are now ready to be painted and epoxied. After the painting is complete I'll add the front hook hanger and finish this part of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment